Moving soon, keep an eye out for more

The latest changes at, most importantly the loss of code formatting, have led me to conclude the time has come to move off this platform and find something new.

Right now I’m seriously considering just opening up a wiki on Bitbucket or Github and throwing lots of text into it. It will be up to my readers to find ways to search through it (at least until I’m able to point Google and Bing at it using some custom code). I may create a plain vanilla index page to list each article as it goes up.

Fortunately the flavors of markdown used by both Bitbucket and Github does a nice job of formatting code, although their syntax is different enough that I’ll have to choose between them.

An added advantage of going in this direction is that I’ll now be able to keep my code samples on the same site that the articles appear.

No K Google

Yeah, Google’s voice tech is cool. “OK Google, chinese in Cary, North Carolina” is certainly convenient. But the last thing I need is yet another “vector for suveillance” on my personal computing equipment. So I’ve turned it off in my Android phone’s Settings. There are a lot of other settings I’ve changed to make the phone a bit more secure, although just allowing Google Play to remain active is probably enough to make that a lost cause (I did make a serious effort to use F-Droid exclusively a couple of years ago, but the few apps I really found useful weren’t in their catalog).