DVDStyler for CentOS 5

I have found DVDStyler to be a really useful tool in making simple home movie DVD’s to send back to family up North. In a previous post I described how I’ve used it to do this.

After scouring the Internets I was unable to find an rpm for Red Hat Enterprise. All I did find was an incomplete .spec file called dvdstyler.spec up on Dag’s site. Using this .spec got me the dreaded “Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found” error for the dvdstyler.desktop and dvdstyler.png files. Some more Googling led me right into the thickets of rpm building.

Since it was Thanksgiving and we weren’t having company, I finally had no excuse. I was going to have to solve this one. No matter how terrifying the journey.

As it turns out, the fix wasn’t very complicated. All I needed to do was add a couple of lines under the %files section of the .spec and rpmbuild was happy to build me some packages, and change the version definition further up the file.

For those who care, the changes I made are indicated in green below:

# $Id: dvdstyler.spec 5212 2007-02-25 23:19:33Z thias $
# Authority: matthias
	
%define prever _2
	
Summary: DVD authoring tool
Name: dvdstyler
Version: 1.5.1
Release: 2.el5
License: GPL
Group: Applications/Multimedia
URL: http://www.dvdstyler.de/

* * *

%files -f %{name}.lang
%defattr(-,root,root,-)
%doc _doc/*
%{_bindir}/dvdstyler
%{_datadir}/dvdstyler/
%{_datadir}/applications/
%{_datadir}/pixmaps/
	
%changelog
* Fri Jan 19 2007 Matthias Saou  1.5-0.1.b7
- Initial RPM release.

Before starting to compile I had already moved this spec file to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and the latest source package (from the project site), DVDStyler-1.5.1_2.tar.gz to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.

After making these changes I compiled the package by placing the .spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and running the command rpmbuild -bb dvdstyler.spec from that directory.

I then did an rpm -ivh against the resulting rpm file, dvdstyler-1.5.1-2.el5.386.rpm, found in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386. This installed without error, and so far the application seems to be functioning correctly.