kABI tracking kmods to the rescue

In Linux, like perl, there’s often “more than one way to do it.” Just yesterday I was proudly crowing in an updated post about my “discovery” that the microphone problem I’d been experiencing with the latest Enterprise Linux (RHEL/SL/CentOS) kernel was fixed by installing the corresponding ALSA kernel mod from atrpms. But there’s another option.

Today I opened my inbox to find an update from Phil Perry of the elrepo project to my SL mailing list post on the subject. Turns out that elrepo-testing has two versions of a kABI-tracking kmod for ALSA.

I wrote about the advantages of kABI-tracking kmods some time ago, and they are significant enough that I decided to give Phil’s suggestion a try.

After uninstalling the atrpms mod, I first installed the newer elrepo one (version 1.0.24-1). On rebooting I found that one didn’t fix the problem. I then tried the earlier version (1.0.23-1), which did work. My guess is that either my hardware or the other alsa libraries on my system aren’t compatible with the newer version. For those who need this fix, the specific file that I now have installed is kmod-alsa-1.0.23-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpmp.

Once again, a big thank you to Phil Perry and the crew at elrepo!