Upgraded the relevant machines to Fedora 22 tonight, in preparation for the release of 23. As in the past, the original plan was to jump a version and go from 21 to 22 and then 23 in one sitting. Caution got the better of me, and so here I am.
On coming out of the upgrade I noticed a couple of things right away: there were far more Fedora 21 “remainder” packages that in previous upgrades, and quite a few visual elements either had disappeared or were badly configured.
The first thing you notice after upgrading to F22 is that any desktop and file manager icons (the former is actually controlled by the latter if enabled) were super-sized. The Gnome Project’s tablet/phone interface fetish has just become more and more annoying with each new version of Shell, and this is just one more wrench they’ve thrown into the upgrade process.
Not surprisingly, several Shell extensions stopped working after the upgrade and had to be uninstalled (manually in the case of the openweather-extension) and then re-installed. With openweather I also had to modify the location data in the dconf database (changed from weather station identifiers to geographical coordinates), after it kept throwing an error when reinstalled. It took a bit of digging to find the correct key and dconf command that needed to be issued. None of that was documented, of course, forcing me to do some software archaeology for the answer.
dconf write /org/gnome/shell/extensions/openweather/city "35.7804015,-78.6390779>Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina, United States of America >-1"
The other extension that broke was Taskbar. It too had to be removed and then re-installed. I discovered that when trying to shrink the desktop and file view icons in Nautilus to normal size.
I also discovered that due to its lack of the necessary integration plugin (apparently it can’t use the one for Firefox), Epiphany was unable to install plugins from extensions.gnome.org. Ditto for Chrome. In the end I had to drop back to Firefox to get the job done.
Also made the transition from AdBlock Edge to uBlock Origin (paying special attention in the Chrome and Firefox extension stores to pick the right one — not just “uBlock” but “uBlock Origin”).
It goes without saying that this pretty much ended my trial of Epiphany, as it has proved to be pretty much useless as a standard web browser. Instead, after removing epiphany, I set Chrome as my default browser to see how it will compare to Firefox in daily use. Oh, let the games begin!
Finally after going through all this, I discovered that Password Safe had somehow been removed (probably because its package name, “pwsafe”, is shared by a command line program that’s in the Fedora repo). Restoring it involved removing the pwsafe package and then re-installing pwsafe-0.96BETA-3.x86_64.rpm. Shortly after filing a bug to alert him of this (and recommend he change the package name from pwsafe to passwordsafe — something that had already been done for the Ubuntu package), the lead Password Safe developer put in the changes to fix this in the next release.
All that having been said, the upgrade process went flawlessly, as usual. If only going from RHEL 5 to 6, and then from 6 to 7, were that easy. The upgrade process with fedup continues to give Fedora many of the advantages of a rolling release, without the drama. For that, I very grateful to the Fedora developers. Thanks guys.
uBlock Origin is completely unrelated to the web site ublock.org: the donations sought by ublock.org are not benefiting any of those who contributed most to create uBlock…